Remember when I briefly mentioned love languages earlier in the week? There are 5 different love languages. One really great way to resurrect the romance in your relationship is to serve your partner with their love language.
Resurrecting your romance with acts of service is a task that, when done with intention, can truly strengthen your bond. It helps you to learn about yourself and your partner, while teaching humility, patience, and kindness.
- The Language of Language. One of the love languages is words of affirmation. If you want to resurrect your romance through words of affirmation, try writing a note and tell them how much you appreciate them. Share with them that you’re proud of them and cheer them on. I often tell hubby that I’m proud of the work that he’s doing and how sexy his intelligence is to me. He’s never taken the test, but I know that words of affirmation is one of his languages. I use my words to build him up.
- The Language of Service. Acts of service is another way that people know they are loved. If this is your partner’s love language, you would do well to resurrect the romance by doing something for them. Women, we usually like to be helped out around the house. Guys, I presume you’d appreciate home cooked meals? I can’t speak for everyone but, if your partner receives love with an act, do something they would appreciate. We did a love challenge once and I had the pleasure of doing something for him that he didn’t want to do. I ended up reading a highly technical chapter from his counseling manual. That was fun.
- Give a gift. This is a love language which is tangible and material. The trick to this one is that you have to actually know your partner. What is it that they want and would appreciate? Hubby knows that I love flowers, even though I can’t keep them alive for anything. He still
wastesspends his money on beautiful bouquets that makes me happy. When he knows that I’ve had a particularly rough day, he’ll spontaneously bring home a KitKat.
- The Language of Time. Another way to resurrect your romance is to spend time with each other. I’m super fidgety and, even when we’re relaxing together, I always have to be doing something! Men may not always say it, but if their love language is quality time, you can keep the romance alive by just being there. Binge Netflix together, lay in bed and talk, or take a nap together on a rainy afternoon. The most important aspect of spending quality time together is that you have to be sincere in your actions. If you’re spending quality time with an attitude of obligation, it nullifies the effort. Make time to spend with them, distraction free…
- The Language of Touch. Hey, hey, hey! Touch away! Hubby speaks this language to me very well…especially when we hold hands in public. I love when he’ll hold my hand and/or puts his arm around me. It makes me feel loved, wanted, and appreciated. In acknowledging that I have an anxiety disorder, I’ve researched how to cope with it. One of the things is pressure on your body with a weighted blanket so that you can sleep at night. I tried to order one and he said “I’ll be your blanket.” So every night, he will lay his arm on me so that I can rest. If I go to bed after him, he lets me slide my hands underneath him so that I can fall asleep. It’s much needed and appreciated touch.
What is your language of love? What is your partner’s? Do you have a creative way to resurrect the romance with what makes them feel loved? Let’s talk in the comments below!
Related Blog Posts
Katherine is the author of Wounds to Wisdom, The Marriage Advocate, and is the voice behind Yoked, an online ministry dedicated to helping women prepare themselves to be a wife. Married to her best friend, she is living out her purpose by encouraging others to enter into covenant marriages with their eyes wide open.